Friday, December 16, 2011

Theatre is...

Theatre is the people who are involved, the friendships that are created, the hard work you put into it, the hours of hurry-up-and-wait, the memorizing, living in a another world for just a little bit, the rehearsal, walking through the process with a great director, and the click you feel when you finally get your character.  It is the moment before you step on stage, the audience, the way a show takes off and seems to fly, the applause, the bittersweet knowledge that there is one less time to do this, and the stories of near misses and mistakes that only the actors know.  Theatre is the difference between a first show and a last show, the memories that are made, devoting yourself to something so fully that it consumes your life for a little while, and knowing that you have succeeded in making art.  That is theatre.
Theatre centers me.  Just stepping into a theatre brings a sense of calm I don’t get anywhere else.  To me, a theatre feels alive.  It is a place where stories are told and art is shared. 
Storefront Theatre has a “use what you have” mentality that appeals to me.  The act of creating out of almost nothing is a fantastic feeling.  It adds a new level to the stories that you can tell.  Sometimes, less is more. 
I know I may not be able to act throughout my whole life, but one way or another I will be involved in theatre.  It is an experience that I always want to have again and one that I will remember forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment