Thursday, October 20, 2011

Clay Sculpture

The final sculpture for my 3 Dimensional Design class.  
 This is right after I finished it.  It had to dry completely before it could be fired.
 It is over 18 inches tall.
 I had a couple people tell me that they thought it looked like a heart.

 I made the pattern on the sides by pressing leaves into the clay and then going over the marks to make them deeper.

The diamond shape is not connected to the tree.
After it dried it went into the kiln and was fired.  I got a surprise when I opened the kiln after it had cooled.  The trunk had exploded toward the bottom and it wasn't going to stand up by itself.  After some quick thinking, I was still able to present.  I actually prefer the way it turned out.




3 comments:

  1. Very cool looking... it does have a heart-like look about it. I actually think the broken, fired version is more interesting. Now what do you do with all these creations? There isn't a whole lot of storage room in that dorm room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at the moment it is on the top shelf of my closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I think it looks like a tree :)

    ReplyDelete