Monday, October 17, 2011

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance part 8

I'm not quite sure what I think about the epilogue.  It seems rather like a normal epilogue up until the point where the author starts to talk about Chris's death.  He begins to wonder where Chris has gone.  He decides that it is the pattern of Chris that he misses. 
In my mind this reduces Chris down to a sort of object and not a creation of God with a soul.  
He talks about wanting to know where Chris will reappear.  He then moves on to talking about his daughter that was born after Chris died.  The way that he talks about her unsettles me.  He must love her but he talks about her as if she is the reappearance of Chris and not her own person.   
There is just something about this that really unsettles me.  I can't quite put my finger on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment