Monday, October 31, 2011

Saint Augustine's Confessions Part 3

As I read through Augustine's Confessions I find that there are sentences that jump out at me.  Certain things that grab my attention and resonate with things I have been feeling or struggling with.

"Two wills were mine, old and new, of the flesh, of the spirit, each warring with each other, and between their dissonances, my soul was disintegrating."

"I could not renounce the world to follow you when I was still undecided about your truth.  Now I knew."

"Though no one wants to sleep forever. realizing that wakefulness is the higher state, yet man puts off waking when torpor, making heavy all his limbs, smothers him sweetly in slumber, against his better sense that 'it was time to be rising'" "All I could mumble, muzzily, was: later on.  Or: Any moment now.  Or: Wait a bit.  But the any-moment never came, and wait-a-bit stretched out into endless bits."   

This last one really hit home.  
Lots of things to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment