Monday, October 17, 2011

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance part 9(The final post on Zen)

I have finished Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance.  Over all, I enjoyed it.  It made me think in ways that I had never experienced before and brought up ideas that had never occurred to me.  It was very enjoyable in some parts and very hard in others.  The story of Phaedrus and the Narrator was captivating and drew me along because I wanted to know what would happen to them.  The mixture of narrative and Chautauqua  felt very balanced in some parts but over all the Chautauqua took over the book.
When I was reading it I noticed that I was having a hard time thinking critically about the arguments presented in the text.  When I read a book, especially fiction and this felt very much like fiction, I totally except the rules of that world.  Since the arguments made sense in the Narrator's mind and world, I had a hard time seeing how it might not be true in the real world.  This is something that I think I got better at as I continued reading but it is still   a struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment