Monday, October 24, 2011

Saint Augustine's Confessions Part 2

"But he is worse off if he holds that his error is a matter of religious faith, and persists stubbornly in the error.  His faith is still a weak thing in its cradle, needing the milk of a mothering love, until the youth grows up and cannot be the plaything, any more, of every doctrinal wind that blows."

The last line really struck a cord with me.  I feel as if my faith is still very weak.  I don't know enough and the new ideas that are being presented have a large effect on me.  They can easily sway me one way or another if I am not very careful in my thinking.  I have a foundation but many of those ideas I have taken for granted without dissecting exactly what it is they are saying.  If I don't know how the things I believe effect my life then how can I add new ideas and information to that?  How would I know if they go against one another?
This is something I have been thinking on quite a bit as I learn new things and try to figure out how my faith should effect my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment